Sunday, May 6, 2012

upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 "not recommended" until july

Was hoping to upgrade my Lucid Lynx laptop to Precise Pangolin today.

Though I was an unflinching Windows user before, I simply fell in love with Ubuntu (and a few other distros like Linux Mint - which happens to be derived from Ubuntu) and started using it in dual boot mode. Eventually, I became less and less dependent on the Windoze drug. Once the withdrawal symptoms (couldn't play my favorite PC games) passed, I realized I didn't need Win at all.

I got rid of my dual-boot and deployed Lucid Lynx and Mint Julia on my work and personal laptops, respectively and there's been no looking back. I only needed Win7 once in the last year, and that was when I had to do some WinPhone7 development+testing at work. (And perhaps a few times more when I gave in to my gaming craving :P)

Lucid has been an awesome, fast, dependable companion, but I heard really good stuff about PP since its recent release and I eagerly wanted to give it a test drive.

However, just when I was about to plug in an external drive for a pre-upgrade backup, I read this on the official upgrade docs:

Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

It is generally recommended that users of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS wait until the first point release, due in July, before upgrading.

Furthermore, seems that there was a major bug in upgrading from LL to PP from CD where one of the Ubuntu developers has this to say:
It's OK for you to try it, but we aren't going to encourage it because
in our experience the extra testing from early-adopter upgraders before
.1 is important in making sure that upgrades are really solid for
everyone by the time we turn it on by default.

Oh well. A couple more months to go before I get PP goodness on my lappy. But I will try a PP live boot from pen drive some time soon.

No comments: